HOME ABOUT US CONTACT US
ALUMNI REGISTRATION
ALUMNI LISTINGS
SIGN THE GUESTBOOK
VIEW THE GUESTBOOK
   

In the latter half of the nineteenth century well-to-do Africans in Lagos met the need for higher education by sending their children overseas for professional training. Some of these returned to press for the establishment of institutions of higher learning in Nigeria. Not much progress was made until the 1930s.


IN THE BEGINNING
In Nigeria, the Yaba Higher College (established in 1932 but formally opened in 1934) and the Yaba Medical School (established in 1930), which granted diplomas and certificates in selected subjects, hardly satisfied the aspirations of those who longed for university education. The Yaba Higher College phase of education in Nigeria further illustrated the desire of Nigerians for degrees, diploma.s. and certifi-cates which were not interior to those awarded by universities in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. So long as British officials did not envisage self-government for Nigerians and senior posts in the public service were reserved for expatriates, pleas for university education in Nigeria fell on deaf ears.The British Government seriously considered the possibility of establishing universities or university colleges in Commonwealth, and in West Africa particularly, during World War II. The Asquith and Elliot Commissions — both set up in 1943 — reported on various aspects of this problem in 1945. The majority and minority reports of the Elliot Commission agreed on the establishment of a university college in Nigeria. The Asquith Commission concentrated on the fundamental principles which were to guide the development of Institutions of Higher learning similar to the University College subsequently established at Ibadan. The Asquith Commission emphasized the principles of a residential university college in special relationship with London University, high academic standards in admissions and staffing, and autonomy. Both the Elliot and Asquith Commissions, which exchanged information, agreed that the Inter-University Council for Higher Education in the Colonies (later Overseas) was to advise the new University Colleges on how best to attain the objectives for which they were established.
Go back to the Beginning


FOUNDED IN
The University College, Ibadan founded in 1948, at first occupied the old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital about eight kilometres away from the new or permanent site. The new site covered over 1,032 hectares of land generously leased by the chiefs and people of Ibadan for 999 years. With equipment transferred from Yaba Higher College, the 104 foundation students (including 49 students in teacher training and survey courses) began their courses at Ibadan on 18 January 1948; the formal opening took place on 25 March, 1948. In February 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of the Elliot Commission, cut the first sod at the permanent site of the University College on 17 November, 1948, which became Foundation Day.

For the foundation medical students, the facilities provided in 1948 by the Native Administration Hospital at Adeoyo and the Government Jericho Hospital, for which the Faculty of Medicine was responsible, were inadequate. Consequently, medical students of the earlier years went to London University for clinical training, To provide more satisfactory clinical facilities at Ibadan, the Nigerian Government made available funds for the building of the 50 (Thed University Teaching Hospital completed in 1957. Thereafter medical students were fully trained in Ibadan, the first batch graduating in 1960.
Go back to the Beginning

GROWTH RATE
With the expansion of facilities at Ibadan, the number of students offered admission increased. In the 1958-59 session, UCI for the first time had a little over 1,000 students; in 1963-64, the figure exceeded 2000 and tipped the 3,000 mark in 1968-69. The figure for 1972-73 was 4,100, and for 1974-75 and 1975-76,5,639 and 7,375 respectively. Some of these students include those resident at the Jos Campus which began with an enrolment of 101 in the 1971-72 session. In the 1973-74 session, the Jos Campus had 326 students, most of whom were prepared for courses in the Faculty of Arts. In the 1975-76 session, the number of students at Jos increased to 550. On 25 September, 1975, however, the Government announced the creation of a University of Jos, and in consequence, arrangements were made to transfer second-year students there to Ibadan and to hand over the campus at the end of the 1975-76 session. The Government also announced the setting up of a new University College at Ilorin, to be affiliated to the University of Ibadan. In 1976-77, the total number of students at the University of Ibadan was 8,586, in 1977-78, the total was 8,865 and in 1984-85, the total was 13,862, and rising in 1986-96 to 18,690. The total number of students in the University during the 1996,97 session was 20,434. These are undergoing various courses on full time basis. There are 851 part-time students. A breakdown by gender revealed that about one-third of the full-time students were female~ 13,520 male and 6914 female. It should be noted that the above figures did not include students under the CES Programme and those in the affiliated colleges. Larger admissions over the years and limited funds for providing accommodation gradually threatened the concept of a residential University at Ibadan. The Jos Campus, when established, interested itself in experimenting with off-campus accommodation. From the 1972-73 session, students at Ibadan Campus have also been allowed to live off-campus in larger numbers.
Go back to the Beginning

The existing halls of residence at the Ibadan Campus have been over-stretched in meeting the accommodation needs of students. Married students are encouraged to live off-campus. The nine undergraduate halls of residence (Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bello, Queen Elizabeth H, Alexander Brown, Independence, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Idia Hall) and the two postgraduate halls of residence (Tafawa Balewa and Obafemi Awolowo) have a total optimum capacity of nearly 5,000 students. The older and new halls of residence are different in their designs. The older halls — Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bello and Queen Elizabeth II - were designed by the U.K based firm of Maxwell Fry and Jane Drew. Alexander Brown Hall — for clinical students — was designed by the firm of Messrs Warkins Gray and Partners. The two larger and later built balls — Independence and Nnamdi Azikiwe — were the handiwork of the Design Group Ltd., While Tafawa Balewa Hall and Idia Hall were designed by Messrs Aderele, Omisore; Adebanjo Associates; Obafemi Awolowo Hall (previously planned to be a student village) was designed by Allied Architects. Until 1972, each Hall of Residence had its own catering facilities, but steps were taken during that year towards providing more centralized catering services. The Central Cafeteria, with a capacity for 1,600 students, was completed on 4 January, 1976 catered for majority of students. Because of the large number of students, however, catering services continued to be provided in Independence, Nnamdi Azikiwe, and Tafawa Balewa Halls.
Go back to the Beginning


THE STUDENT UNION
From its inception, the University has encouraged Student Unionism and the Students’ Union has thus been an important feature of the University’s existence. Housed in a magnificent complex which includes the Central Cafeteria as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool, the Union has as its aims:
(a) To promote the social, cultural, intellectual and sporting activities of its members.
(b) To foster the general interests of its members; and
(c) To contact, co-operate and exchange ideas with other external organizations whose aims are acceptable to the Union.
The Students’ Union has been an advocate of student participation in University administration, and since 1973. students have served on various University Committees, including the Consultative Committee on Community Development. Students’ Welfare Board, Careers Board, Library Committee, Catering Board, Sports Council, Lodging Bureau, and the Student Disciplinary Committee. In addition, all academic departments have staff/student liaison committees.
Go back to the Beginning


STAFF
The University provides accommodation for some of its senior and junior staff - the Abadina complex caters for the residential needs of the bulk of junior. In July 1978, there were 517 housing units, and a further 86 units under construction, on-campus. There are also the University Guest Houses, the Pro-Chancellor’s Lodge and other buildings. The University, in addition, rented 455 units for senior staff living off-campus. The off-campus accommodation for staff was abolished in 1967. In July 1995, there were 607 Housing Units and a further 3 Units under construction at Amina Way and New Phillipson Road on Campus. The accommodation and maintenance problems of the University increased as the number of junior, intermediate and senior staff rose. In 1959, there were about 530 junior and intermediate staff. In February 1973 their number had risen to 4,197. In 1958, there were only 44 Nigerian senior staff (Academic, and Technical) as against 136 expatriates. But on 1 February 1973, the University had 117 senior administrative and technical officer, technicians/technologists as well as school teachers in the International School (Secondary) and Staff School (Kindergarten and Primary). Of these, 95 per cent were Nigerians. These excluded a total of 566 academic staff of whom 416 were Nigerians and 150 expatriates. On 31 January, 1978, the University had a total of 787 teaching staff as against an establishment of 829 for the 1977/78 session. At the same time, the University had a total of 677 administrative, professional and technical staff (although the established figure was 1,053) together with 4,991 intermediate and junior staff. As at the I984/5 session, the University had a total of 1,043 academic staff with a total of 887 Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff. A total of 3,900 Junior Staff was recorded for the same period. With steady Nigerianization, in the wake of a similar exercise from the 1950s in the public services of the Federation, more and more Nigerians took up appointments in the University. But in general, the University has continued to maintain its historical complexion as an international community of scholars, students and other workers. By 1994/95 Session, the University had a total of 960 Academic Staff with a total of 1,115 Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff. A total of 2,241 Junior Staff was for the same period. In 1995/96, the Academic Staff figure was 972. The Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff was 1,270 and Junior Staff rose to 2,660. In 1996,97 Academic staff rose to 1,077, while the Administrative, Professional and Technical staff was 1,435 and Junior staff was 2,344.
Go back to the Beginning


FUNDING
Staff salaries and other recurrent expenditure besides capital works made the University College (later University) an expensive establishment. While the British Government; the Cocoa Marketing Board, the Nuffield Foundation, the United African Company, and other interested bodies inside and outside Nigeria made generous contributions towards the funding of capital projects, the brunt of the recurrent expenditure fell on the Nigerian government whose subvention rose from N200,000 in 1949-50 to N7,464,000 in 1971-72. The Federal Government’s recurrent grant for 1972-73 was Nl0,226,000 and for 1973-74 was NI 1,036,000. The figure for the 1975-76 session (Ibadan and Jos Campuses) was N23, I 71,000, for the 1976-77 session, N29,826,000, and for the 1977-78 session, N29,131,000. However, the Government’s grant rose to N236,610,282 in 1993/94 and it increased by N275,226,107 in 1994/95 while in 1995/96 N287,007,678 was budgeted for the University. Based on its recurrent needs, the University of Ibadan received N395,435,057 from the Government. In 1996/97 N36,057,095 was generated from sources internal to the University. With inadequate public response to its appeal for an Endowment Fund in the 1950s, the University College relied heavily on government financial aid. From 1952, the government set its financial relations with the University College on a quinquennial basis. In the event, the national crisis in the 1960s disturbed such quinquennial arrangements in favour of ad hoc grants. Financial grants also came from the American Foundations, notably Ford and Rockefeller which together contributed N7,717,592 to Ibadan’s development in the 1962-67 quinquennium. In 1977-78, the contribution from the Ford Foundation was N86,577.91, and from the Rockefeller Foundation N39,452.31. Such outside grants have in many ways assisted the academic development of the University particularly in postgraduate studies and staff development. The Federal Government’s grant of N29,031,000 for the 1977-78 session proved most inadequate for the effective running of the University.

It was impossible to make any new scholarship awards to postgraduate students. No research grants could be made to any staff.The University’s staff development programme had to be suspended. Work on all buildings - students and staff accommodation as well as office and classroom blocks - ground to a halt. Much-needed teaching and research equipment could not be bought. It is clear that given the financial realities of the country, the University will have to re-order its priorities. More importantly, it is also clear that the University has to take vigorous stem to solicit financial aid from well-meaning Nigerians and other friends. The challenge before Ibadan; is that of selling its programmes to the Nigerian public and hoping that those programmes will be so well designed as to win the sympathy and support of the public. The University College in 1948-49 had three faculties (Arts, Science and Medicine). Today, there are the College of Medicine and eight faculties: Arts, Science. Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Technology, and Law. The academic wings of the University include the library, the Institute of African Studies, the Institute of Child Health, the Computing Centre, the University Press, the Ibarapa Community Health Project, and the Behavioural Sciences Research Unit. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), financed by the Federal Government, maintained a special link with this University whose Council appointed its staff on terms of semce similar to those enjoyed by staff of this University. The link was formally severed by Decree No.70 of 1977. NISER has since moved out of the University Campus to its own permanent buildings on the Oyo Road and operates as a full-fledged Research Institute.
Go back to the Beginning


THE ACADEMIC BOARD
The Academic Board set up under the University College Ordinance (No. 25 of 1948) gave way to Senate under a new law in 1954. Under that Ordinance (No. 10 of 1954) a reorganized Council was also established. The membership of Council changed triennially. With academic independence, the University had a new Act in 1962 which with subsequent amendments in 1972 and 1976 has remained the basic Constitution. That constitution also provides for Congregation, Convocation, and such officers as the Visitor, Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Bursar and librarian. Though financially dependent upon Government and other organizations, and though constitutionally tied to the Federal Government through the Head of State (also the Visitor), this University from its colonial origins has been trying to safeguard its autonomy in teaching and research. The special relationship scheme with London University did not prevent the College from adapting its syllabuses to suit local needs wherever possible. Several changes were in fact made in the degree structure as the need arose. Although the College began with general and honours/special degree courses in selected disciplines, these were re-examined from 1962 when the College gained its academic independence. From 1963, general degree courses gave way to honours special degrees. To introduce a greater element of flexibility into the teaching and examination programmes, the Faculty of Science began in 1969 the Course System which, with the exception of the Faculty of Medicine, was generally applied in the 1972-73 session. The various faculties engaged in the Course System are continuing to deal with the operational problems arising from the Course System especially in such areas as decentralized control and the need for increased staffing to tackle a variety of academic and administrative duties. The first set of students trained under the Course System graduated in June 1972. In its teaching postgraduate and research programmes, the University has adequately met the challenges posed by changing times and changing national priorities. Far from being encased in a colonial cocoon, the University boldly ventured into new fields such as the Jos Campus scheme and the establishment in 1970 of the Institute of Applied Science and Technology. Above all, the University has continued to maintain a high standard of scholarship in various academic disciplines.

The University of Ibadan produced 52,312 first degree graduates between 1948 -97, 10,398 Diplomas and Certificates. It is also the foremost postgraduate training centre in the country. The first postgraduate degree was awarded in 1952 under the scheme of special relationship with the University of London. From 1968 to 1997, Ibadan has produced 17,748 Masters Degrees and 2,327 Ph.Ds. While a substantial number of the products of the Ibadan Postgraduate School have joined its staff, many have gone to the newer Universities. Indeed, the demand for manpower at this level has risen so phenomenally that Ibadan is not able to meet it. The National Universities Commission recognizing the role of Ibadan in this regard has responded honourably to Ibadan’s expressed wish to go increasingly postgraduate in its development, while keeping its undergraduate intake at its present level. Financial constraints have, however, prevented the kind of increase in postgraduate intake that was anticipated. Nevertheless, the University has re-organized the administration of postgraduate work. In the 1976-77 session, a Postgraduate School. with a Dean as its head, replaced the Board of Postgraduate Studies. The School now has a Board made up of all Deans, all Heads of Departments, and one elected representative from each Faculty. Faculty Postgraduate Committees have been set up and each Faculty as well as the Institute of Education and African Studies have a Sub-Dean for postgraduate affairs. The instrument for effective and speedy administration of the affairs of postgraduate students is thus ready at hand, and the stage is set for a major take-off in this direction, subject to the availability of funds.

In addition to the numerous academic programmes available in the University, the following were established during the 1995/96 session: Bachelor in Library and Information Studies; Masters in European Studies; Geographical Information System; Strategic Studies; Managerial Psychology; Archival Studies & Records Management and Ph.D. in Information Science. Despite changing political and constitutional arrangements. the independent University of Ibadan has been generally fortunate in its leadership. The Visitor to the University has always been the Head of State. Ibadan has thus had seven Visitors since it became independent; the Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, M.A. (Linc.) M.Sc. (Penn.), Hon. LL.D. (Linc.), Hon. D. Litt. (Nig.) (1963 1966); Major-General Yakubu Gowon (1966-1975), and Lieutenant-General Olusegun Obasanjo was Visitor from 1976-1979. The tenure of the other Heads of State - Major-General Aguiyi-lronsi and Brigadier Murtala Muhammed was so short that they had little time to relate to the University in their capacities as Visitors. With the advent of civilian administration in 1979, General Obasanjo was succeeded by President Shehu Shagari as visitor to the University (1979-1983). On 31 December, 1983, following the military take-over, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari C.F.R., as the Head of the Federal Military Government, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, became Visitor to the University. Following a military coup on 27 August 1985. he was succeeded as Visitor by Major-General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida. C.F.R., President, Federal Republie of Nigeria, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, who was succeeded briefly by Chief Ernest Shonekan, the Head of State of the Interim Government in 1993 and General Sanni Abacha succeeded Chief Shonekan as Visitor to the University in November 17, 1993. General Abdusalami Abubakar became the visitor on June 8, 1998 immediately after the death of General Sanni Abacha.
Go back to the Beginning


THE CHANCELLORS
Ibadan’s first Chancellor was the late Alhaji, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafewa Balewa. P.C., K.B.E., first Prime Minister of Independent Nigeria who died in the military coup of January 1966. His successor in office was Sir Kashim Ibrahim. G.C.O.N., K.C.M.G., C.B.E.,Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), one of the most respected public figures in Niceria, who served as Chancellor for nearly a decade before he was appointed Chancellor of the University of Lagos in 1975. The next Chancellor, indicted on 24 April, 1976, was His Hichness Alhaji Ado Bavero. C.F.R., Hon. LL. D. (Nigeria), Hon. LL. D. (Ibadan), the Emir of Kano. He was succeeded on 1 September, 1984 by His Highness, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, C.F.R., B.A. (Cantab), Hon. LL. D. (Ibadan), Hon. LL. D. (Zaria), Oba of Benin. The Chancellor was inducted on 17 November 1984. All of these men have served Ibadan with great devotion and commitment and brought great dignity to our annual Foundation Day Ceremonies. In moments of crisis, the University has profited immensely from their wealth of experience and the high regard in which they are held by the public and those at the helm of affairs. The current Chancellor, His Royal Highness Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula. Tor Tiv IV, was inducted on 17 November, 1994.

The University has also benefitted greatly from the calibre of men who have led its Governing Council. Sir Sydney Phillipson, K.B.E., C.M.G.,M.A. (Manc.) (1951-1958); Sir Francis Ibiam, K.B.E., G.C.O.N., M.B., Ch.B. (St. And.), Hon. LL.D. (St. And.) (1958—1961); Dr. O. Ikejiani, B.Sc., (New Brus.), M.Sc. (Chic.). M.D. (Toronto), L.M.S. (Nova Scotia), Sc.D. (Lincoln) (1961-1965); Sir Louis Mbanefo, MA. (Cantab.), LL.D. (Lond.), (1965- l976); Chief the Hon. Sir Samuel Manuwa, C.M.G., O.B.E., C.St.J., F.R.S. (Edin.) M.D. (Edin.) F.R.C.S., F.R.C.P., F.C.S., F.A.C.P., F.I.C.S., D.T.M.&H. (Liv.), Hon. LL.D. (Edin.), Hon. D.Sc. (Nig.), Hon. D.Sc. (Ibadan), Hon. D. Litt. (Ife), F.R.S.A. (1967- 1975); and Albaji Abdurrabman Okene, (1975-1981). Special mention need to be made of the late Sir Sydney Phillipson who guided the affairs of Council for seven years during pioneering days and the late Sir Samuel Manuwa who for nearly a decade served Ibadan with real dedication. Alhaji Abdurrahman Okene found himself Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of Council during a period of economic recession. He and his colleagues on Council faced the challenge of seeking new ways of raising funds for the activities of the University, as well as seeking greater efficiency in the husbandry of existing funds. Dr. C.G. Okojie, O.F.R., L.S.M. (Nig.), F.I.C.S., F.M.C.G.P. (Nig.), a well-known Medical Practitioner, was appointed Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council from August 1981 to December 1983. Following the take-over of Government by the Military in December 1983, Dr. S.J. Cookey, O.O.N., a renowned educationist, became the Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of the University Council in August 1984. Professor T.M. Yesufu, BA (Exeter.), B.Sc. (Econs), Ph.D. (Lond.) F.N.I.M., former Vice-Chancellor, University of Benin, and former Pro-Chancellor, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Council in November 1985. Alhaji Liman Ciroma, C.F.R., Hon. LLD. (Sokoto) Hon. LLD (Ibadan), a retired Secretary to the Federal Military Government and Head of the Federal Civil Service succeeded Professor T.M. Yesufu when he was appointed the Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of the University Council in July 1986, ably steered the ship of the governing Council during the period of staff industrial strike actions till 1992 when he was succeeded by Prof. lya Abubakar, an Alumnus of the University. Professor K Onwuka Dike, MA, PhD. (Lond), was Ibadan’s first Nigerian Principal and Vice-Chancellor from 1960 to 1967. Ibadan owes a great deal to the vision of its first Nigerian academic head. Of particular importance was his commitment and contribution to the establishment of the Postgraduate School at Ibadan. When Professor Dike resigned in 1967 as a consequence of the Nigerian Civil War, he was succeeded by Professor TA Lambo, O.B.E., J.P., M.D., F.R.C.P. (Edin.), D.P.M., Hon. D.Sc. (Zaria), Hon. LL.D. (Kent State Univ.) who served as Vice-Chancellor until 1971. After a brief interlude, Professor H. Oritsejolomi Thomas, C.B.E., C.O.N., M.B., F.R.C.S., Hon D.Sc. (Ife), Hon F.R.C.S.I., one of Nigeria’s most distinguished surgeons was appointed Vice-Chancellor in 1972. He served in that capacity until November 1975. Professor Tekena N. Tamuno, BA. Ph.D. (Lond.), of the Department of History was appointed Vice-Chancellor in December 1975. He is the first alumnus of Ibadan to occupy that office. He served in that capacity until 30 November 1979. Professor Samson O. Olayide, B.Sc. (Lond.) M.&., Ph.D. (Calif.) of the Department of Agricultural Economies, whose appointment as Vice-Chancellor commenced in December 1979, served in that capacity until 30 November, 1983. At the time of his appointment, Professor Olayide was the Deputy Vice-Chancellor. Professor L. Ayo Banjo, M.A. (Glas. and UCLA), Ph.D. (Ibadan), Dip. E.S. (Leeds), of the Department of English who was Deputy Vice-Chancellor from December 1981 was appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University with effect from 1 December, 1984 after acting in that post at the expiration of Professor Olayide’s Vice-Chancellorship on 30 November, 1983. Professor Ayo Banjo served in this capacity until 30 November 1991. He was succeeded by Professor A.B.O.O. Oyediran, M.D. (Lond.), D.T.M.&H. (Edin.), M.F.C.M., F.R.C.P. (Lond.), F.R.C.P. (Edin.), F.M.C.P.H. (Nigeria), F.W.A.C.P. Cert. Immunol. (Ibadan), as Vice-Chancellor on 1 December, 1991 to 30 November, 1995, for a term of four years. Before his appointment, Professor Oyediran was a Professor of Preventive and Social Medicine in the College of Medicine of this University. Professor O.A. Ojengbede, B.Sc. (Med. Sci.), M.B.B.S. (lb.), F.I.C.S., Cert. Fam. Planning, F.M.C.O.G., F.W.A.C.S. was appointed Acting Vice-Chancellor until March 25, 1996 when Professor Omoniyi Adewoye B.A. (London), M.A., Ph.D. (Colum) became the Vice-Chancellor for a term of four years in the first instance. He was a Professor of History before the appointment. In line with the decentralization policy of the University and the provision of Decree 11 of 1993, the post of Deputy Vice-Chancellor was increased by one. Professor M.A. Filani was elected Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Admin.) and Professor O.O. Oduye, also elected Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) for a term of two years (Nov. 3, 1993 to November 30, 1995). Both Deputy Vice-Chancellors were succeeded by Prof. B.W Andah who was elected Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) and Prof. B. Onimode became Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) for a term of two years with effect from 27 March, 1997. Unfortunately the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) died on Monday, 22 December, 1997 before the end of his term.
Go back to the Beginning


25th ANNIVERSARY
In November 1973, the University celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its foundation. One of the highlights of the celebrations was the launching of the book entitled The University of Ibadan (1948-73: A history of the first twenty-five years. This book, commissioned by the University Council, was edited by Professors J.F. Ade. Ajayi and Tekena N. Tamuno, and published by the Ibadan University Press. In it, the contributors, themselves alumni of the University, examined in considerable detail, the growth and development of Ibadan with emphasis on its pioneering role and contributions to the development of higher education in Nigeria. In 1981, “Ibadan Voices” was published by the University Press. The book was edited by Professor Tekena N. Tamuno, one of the Alumni Stars of this University. “Ibadan Voices” is a collaborative work of former students, teachers, administrators, professionals and technical staff of the University since its foundation as a college in 1948. The various chapters portray reminiscences, recollection thoughts, reflections and views on Ibadan. This exciting book focuses attention on the growth - and development of University of Ibadan as a social institution and as a centre of learning. Ibadan, as this study shows, made deliberate, but necessary, adjustments to match the pace and complexity of Nigeria’s development as a nation state under civilian and military regimes.

An Endowment Appeal Fund was launched by the then Visitor, His Excellency, General Yakubu Gowon, to mark the occasion. Under the 1975-80 quinquennial plan, the University proposed new academic programmes and major capital projects. Among these was the upgrading in 1980/81, of the erstwhile Faculty of Medicine to collegiate status. At the instance of Council, the Federal Miliary Government promulgated on 25 June, 1984, the College of Medicine of the University of Ibadan Statute. The College currently comprises three Faculties; Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Dentistry, and Pharmacy as well as the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Research and Training. Also established are the following professional/academic programmes — Technology, Law, Banking and Finance, Business Administration Urban and Regional Planning Industrial and Labour Relations, Information Science and Social Work. In the 1990/91 Session, the Collegiate System was extended to the rest of the University. Thus, in addition to the College of Medicine, the following four new colleges emerged: Arts, the Social Sciences and Law, Science and Technology, Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine; and Education. But regrettably, it functioned briefly till 31 March, 1994, when the Colleges, except the College of Medicine, were abolished as a result of poor funding. The foundation Principal of the former University College, Ibadan (in special relationship with the University of London), Professor Kenneth Mellanby, now deceased, accompanied by his wife, visited the University on 11 March, 1992. Professor Mellanby had earlier visited the University on two occasions viz at the inauguration of the independent University of Ibadan in November, 1963 and during the Silver Jubilee celebrations of the University in November, 1973. The Endowment Fund was relaunched and Honorary Degrees were conferred on Chief Oludolapo Ibukun Akinkugbe, Industrialist;Ardideacon Emmanuel Oladipo Ajao Alayande, a renowned Educationist; Chief Matthew Tawo Mbu, Barrister-at-Law, a distinguished Public Servant; His Royal Highness, Alhaji Umani Sanda Ndayako, CFR, a distinguished Public Servant; Professor Chukwuedu Nwokolo, NNMA, OFR., an all-round Medical Professor and Researcher; General Olusegun Obasanjo, G.C.R.F., Former Head of State and Professional Soldier, in 1988 during the celebration of the Fortieth Anniversary of the University. The University Anthem (The Font) written by an alumnus (Professor Isidore Okpewho), was also launched. The ‘Premier” Magazine for the Alumni Association, was launched during the Foundation Day and Installation Ceremony of the Chancellor, His Royal Highness, Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula, ‘Tor ‘Tiv IV’ in November, 1994. University of Ibadan ‘Honorary Fellowship’ approved by Council and Senate, was conferred for the first time, on a distinguished former Professor of Preventive and Social Medicine, Adetokunboh Lucas, during the November, 1995 Foundation Day Ceremony.

Mrs Moji Ladipo, former Deputy Registrar Postgraduate School, was appointed Registrar with effect from 1 January, 1997. She is the first female Registrar of the University. Mrs Ladipo succeeded Chief C.O Arowolo who retired on 30 September, 1996.
Go back to the Beginning

 

 
 
 
 

 

Use the links below to jump around this page and find out the history of ui or just read on

 

Our 25th Anniversary
How it all Started
The Chancellos so far..
Founded in
Funding
Growth Rate
Staff
The Student Union